SDPD: Man wrongfully accused of City Heights attempted kidnapping

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - San Diego Police said Friday they don't believe a man kidnapped or tried to kidnap a 6-year-old boy on July 4 in City Heights.

The SDPD said it will not recommend a case against 52-year-old Michael Mahurin following the Tuesday night incident.

Originally police said the boy was walking to his family's truck when he was snatched up by Mahurin, placed in the front seat of his truck, and told to lie down and be quiet just before midnight Tuesday in the 3600 block of Ontario Avenue.

At that time, the boy's family began searching for their son. They approached Mahurin, who could not start his truck, and asked him if he had seen him. A family member spotted the boy and held Mahurin until police arrived.

ORIGINAL STORY: Police: Man grabbed boy, tried to hide him in truck in kidnap attempt

After further investigation, SDPD said it appears the boy got into the wrong truck and there was no kidnapping attempt.

The boy's family was leaving the area and told the child to get in their truck, police said. There were two similar trucks parked next to one another and the boy climbed into Mahurin's truck and laid down.

Police said they interviewed the boy the following day and he confirmed he got into the wrong vehicle. Police also said surveillance video showed the boy getting into the wrong truck on his own. 

As for picking up the boy himself, police said Mahurin had been working on his truck and had grease on him. The boy had no grease on him.

Mahurin is currently in custody on misdemeanor drug charges from a prior warrant, as well as driving without a license and driving on a suspended license.

Print this article Back to Top