SAN DIEGO – The San Diego Chargers will retain head coach Mike McCoy.
In a letter posted to the Chargers website Monday, President of Football Operations John Spanos confirmed that the Chargers will keep both McCoy and General Manager Tom Telesco.
"I have the utmost confidence in our leadership," Spanos wrote. "Tom Telesco, Mike McCoy, and I have already begun evaluating every aspect of the team to take the essential steps to put a winning product back on the field. We will waste no time in making the necessary changes."
Now that he's remaining head coach, Mike McCoy should be praying the team stays in San Diego. He'll be eaten alive as a lame duck in L.A.
— Ben Higgins (@BenHigginsSD) January 4, 2016
The Chargers finished the 2015 season with a 4-12 record. The team lost their season finale at Denver, 27-20 -- a loss the left them winless against AFC West opponents.
In three seasons, McCoy has achieved a 22-26 regular season record. He took the Chargers to the playoffs in 2013, where they advanced to the divisional round after upsetting the Cincinnati Bengals in the wild card round.
Spanos said Chargers players "never wavered in their dedication or commitment to the team" despite the losing season.
"I firmly believe the decisions made today and moving forward will get us back on track in 2016," Spanos said.
On Monday afternoon, the team announced they were letting go of six of McCoy's assistants, including offensive coordinator Frank Reich. The other assistants relieved of their duties: Offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris, assistant offensive line Coach Andrew Dees, wide receivers coach Fred Graves, defensive Line coach Don Johnson and tight ends coach Pete Metzelaars.
The Chargers are one of three teams expected to file applications Monday with the league office to move to the potentially lucrative Los Angeles market, along with the Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams.
San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis leaders last week sent league executives plans for new stadiums meant to entice their teams to stay in their current locations.
NFL owners are scheduled to meet in Houston next week, and could begin making decisions on which team -- or teams -- are allowed to relocate.