Protests continue over LAPD fatal shooting

Posted at 5:58 AM, Oct 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-03 08:58:19-04
LOS ANGELES -- Police sectioned off an intersection Sunday in South Los Angeles as demonstrators continued a second night of protests over an officer- involved shooting Saturday that killed an 18-year-old man, authorities said.
At least two cars were seen Sunday night on a KCAL9 broadcast speeding and leaving spin marks in the middle of the intersection of Western Avenue and 108th Street -- sometimes within feet of demonstrators, -- and young men were seen spray-painting windows of local businesses.
Patrol cars were present at the scene, but police did not appear to take immediate action.
The protests were in response to the shooting of Carnell Snell Jr. at about 1 p.m. Saturday near 107th Street and Western Avenue, police said.
A handgun was recovered at the scene, authorities said.
"Officers observed a vehicle that had paper plates that could be possibly stolen," LAPD Sgt. Barry Montgomery said. "They initiated or attempted to initiate an investigative stop. That vehicle failed to yield and the officers showed themselves in pursuit."
Officers followed the vehicle to Western Avenue and 106th Street, Montgomery said.
"A male passenger exited that vehicle and fled on foot. The officers gave chase, a foot pursuit, and went eastbound at some point on 107th Street to the rear of a residence. And it was at that time that the officer-involved shooting occurred," Montgomery said.
Snell was pronounced dead at the scene, he said.
There were protests in South Los Angeles and Hancock Park in the hours following the shooting.
About 50 people staged a peaceful demonstration Saturday night at 108th Street and Western Avenue.
Another group of an estimated 30-to-40 protesters lined up at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday outside Mayor Eric Garcetti's home at 6th Street and Irvine Boulevard in Hancock Park, according to Detective B. Hardy of the Los Angeles Police Department's Olympic Station.
Eggs were thrown at the mayor's home overnight, according to media reports. Crews were seen cleaning egg from the roof of the home Sunday morning.