(KGTV) - Numerous local and state seats will be on the line, and the fate of several important measures will be decided on June 5, the date of California’s primary election.
Registered voters are now able to vote early by mail or in person at the San Diego County Registrar of Voters Office (5600 Overland Ave. in Kearny Mesa). Anyone who is not registered the vote has until May 21 to register for eligibility. The last day to vote by mail is May 29.
On Election Day, polls open from 7 a.m.-8 p.m.
San Diego County ballot measures:
- Chula Vista Measure A: Half-cent sales tax increase to generate an estimated $17 million for city services
- National City Measure B: Repeal of existing term limits, install new terms for mayor, other city officials
- National City Measure C: Opposing response to Measure B
- Proposition 68: $4.1 billion bond to upgrade state’s parks, help with state’s water quality efforts and natural resources protection
- Proposition 69: Specific revenue and taxes from recent gas tax and vehicle fee increases go towards state infrastructure improvements, such as road repairs
- Proposition 70: Require a two-thirds vote to use funds from the state’s cap-and-trade program
- Proposition 71: Changes go-into-effect date for approved ballot measures from day after Election Day to five days after election is certified
- Proposition 72: Excludes rain-capture systems from property tax bills
Races to watch:
-- California Governor: Notable candidates include Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, state Treasurer John Chiang and former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
-- U.S. Senate: Notable candidates include incumbent Sen. Dianne Feinstein, state Sen. Kevin De Leon and businessman James Bradley.
-- 49th Congressional District: Notable candidates for Rep. Darrell Issa’s seat include County Supervisor Kristin Gaspar, Assemblyman Rocky Chavez and Issa’s 2016 opponent Doug Applegate.
-- 50th Congressional District: Notable candidates include incumbent Rep. Duncan Hunter, El Cajon Mayor Bill Wells and businessman Patrick Malloy.
-- County Board of Supervisors District 4: Notable candidates for Ron Roberts’ seat include former County DA Bonnie Dumanis, former state Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher and former state Assemblywoman Lori Saldana.
-- County Board of Supervisors District 5: Notable candidates for Bill Horn’s seat include San Marcos Mayor Jim Desmond and Oceanside City Councilman Jerry Kern.
-- County District Attorney: Incumbent DA Summer Stephan faces off against county Public Defender Genevieve Jones-Wright.
-- County Sheriff: Incumbent Sheriff Bill Gore is challenged by sheriff’s department Cmdr. Dave Myers.
-- San Diego City Council District 8: Vivian Moreno, Christian Ramirez, Antonio Martinez and Zachary Lazarus are all vying for the seat being vacated by termed-out incumbent Councilman David Alvarez.
-- Chula Vista Mayor: Current Mayor Mary Casillas Salas faces candidates Hector Gastelum, Arthur Kende and Daniel Schreck.
Click here for full California and San Diego County candidate list