ORANGE COUNTY, California — A man who reportedly sent an email that warned “this place will burn down” was arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into the Holy Fire in the Orange County area.
The Orange County Register reported 51-year-old Forrest Gordon Clark was arrested by sheriff’s deputies, and U.S. Forest Service officials confirmed Clark was booked into Orange County Jail Wednesday on suspicion of two counts of felony arson, one count of felony threat to terrorize and one count of misdemeanor resisting arrest.
Clark is being held on $1 million bail. His arraignment is scheduled for Thursday.
A volunteer fire chief told the Orange County Register that Clark sent him threatening emails last week, including one with the “this place will burn down” statement.
In the Register’s report, the volunteer fire chief said that “Clark ran through the community screaming last week and sent an email predicting "Holy Jim, with roots to the Reconstruction Era, would burn.”
According to the Register, Clark owns a cabin located in the Holy Fire’s burn area. His cabin was not destroyed, the Register reported.
No other details on Clark’s arrest were immediately provided.
INTERACTIVE MAP: Where the Holy Fire is burning
The fire, which erupted Monday afternoon in Cleveland National Forest, has burned over 4,000 acres and is 5 percent contained as of Wednesday morning.
The blaze has forced numerous evacuations as it burns into Riverside County from Orange County.