News

Actions

Sentencing postponed for man convicted in fatal San Carlos home invasion

KGTV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:58 AM, Apr 26, 2017
and last updated 2017-04-26 14:29:22-04

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A defense attorney change prompted a judge Wednesday to postpone sentencing for a man who was among a group of armed intruders looking for money and drugs at a San Carlos home, triggering a scuffle and the fatal shooting of one resident.

Elliott Grizzle, 46, was convicted last month of first-degree murder, robbery and burglary and faces 198 years to life in prison. The defendant has a criminal history dating back to 1991 that includes burglary, assault and manslaughter.

Grizzle's new attorney, Kevin McNamara, told Judge Laura Halgren that he would decide in the next few weeks whether to file any motions in the case. A status conference was set for May 16.

Deputy District Attorney Amy Maund told jurors in her closing argument that Grizzle and two or three others broke into the home on Tommy Drive in broad daylight on May 11, 2016, demanding money and marijuana.

The prosecutor said the intruders tied up, robbed and blindfolded two of Brent Adler's roommates, then shot the 33-year-old victim when he arrived home after 2:30 p.m.

Grizzle's DNA was found on a glove and mask he wore during the home invasion, the prosecutor said.

Defense attorney Melissa Tralla said everybody knew that everyone in the home was dealing drugs. She said the two men who were tied up during the ordeal were "deceptive" and lied on the witness stand.

Two other men -- 28-year-old Lawrence "Larry" Johnson and Toren Nieber -- are also charged in the case and will be tried later.