CARLSBAD, Calif. – A man is expected to survive after being shot in Carlsbad late Thursday night, forcing the lockdown of a neighborhood while officers searched for the gunman.
The shooting was reported at 11:13 p.m. in the area of San Elijo and Rancho Santa Fe roads, according to Carlsbad police. The 911 caller reported that his friend, a 45-year-old San Marcos man, had been struck in his side after several gunshots were fired from some brush.
At the scene was a car with blood stains in the driver’s seat. Police did not confirm if the victim was shot while driving the car.
Officers responded and rushed the gunshot victim to Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas in a patrol car. He was later transported to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, where he underwent surgery and is in stable condition, police said.
As they searched for the gunman, Carlsbad police locked down the neighborhood from Camino Junipero all the way to Rancho Santa Fe Road and Melrose Drive, which is about one mile from where the victim was found. Police issued a reverse 911 call asking residents to shelter in place while a SWAT team scoured the area.
The suspect was not found and the lockdown was lifted at approximately 3:45 a.m. Friday.
Investigators do not believe the shooting was random in nature. A long gun or rifle may have been used, but the exact type of weapon is unknown. There is no motive for the shooting, police said. No suspect description was released.
Detectives and evidence technicians were still processing the scene Friday morning.
Anyone with information on the incident should call 760-931-2197.