PEORIA, Ariz. (KNXV) - An Arizona man is speaking up to warn others after being diagnosed with flesh-eating bacteria after spending time at a splash pad.
Jonathan Daggett, of Glendale, Ariz., checked into Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center after visiting an area splash pad on Sunday, June 11.
However, Dr. Frank LoVecchio said it's hard to pinpoint where Daggett contracted the infection, but the temperature could have played a role.
"Unfortunately, as the heat goes up you're more likely to develop bacteria and bacterial growth," LoVecchio said.
- Flesh-eating bacteria explained
- Family fights flesh-eating bacteria
- Marine veteran battles flesh-eating bacteria: 'It was life over limb'
- Chula Vista teen loses leg to flesh-eating bacteria
- Mom: Brain-eating amoeba killed my daughter
Daggett wants others to be aware and understand how serious an infection like his can be.
"My message is pretty much, be careful with your kids. Investigate their body. Look and see if they have any cuts or wounds. It's not a joke. It's really serious," Daggett said.
As of Sunday, Daggett remained hospitalized and is still being treated for the issue.