NewsLocal News


Semi-truck bursts into flames after crashing into power poles, fire hydrant, parked cars on San Diego street

Posted at 5:26 AM, Aug 09, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-10 00:44:03-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - A semi-truck crash left a trail of destruction on a Barrio Logan street that included fires, downed power lines and a water geyser.

The incident was reported at around 1:45 a.m. Friday in the 3000 block of Main Street, near Naval Base San Diego, according to San Diego police.

Police told 10News the driver of a semi-truck somehow lost control of the vehicle and swerved into at least two power poles before striking a fire hydrant.

The truck then skidded across lanes and crashed into parked vehicles. After coming to rest, the truck -- which was carrying tanks of diesel -- burst into flames.

The broken hydrant led to a geyser that sent water dozens of feet into the air, and while some downed power lines fell onto the water, the truck’s driver was able to escape without any serious injuries.

The driver was taken to the hospital to be evaluated, but he is expected to be OK.

The truck fire briefly threatened a nearby business and home, but firefighters quickly put it out before it spread.

City water department crews were able to turn off the water, while San Diego Gas & Electric officials shut down power in the immediate area.

The crash knocked out power to around 4,200 SDG&E customers at 1:42 a.m. in the Mountain View, Lincoln Park, Barrio Logan and Logan Heights areas along with parts of National City and residents near south 32nd Street, SDG&E spokeswoman Helen Gao said.


As of 8:20 a.m., power had been restored to all but 526 customers, according to the SDG&E online outage map.

The remaining customers had their power restored by 8:07 p.m., SDG&E told 10News.

SDG&E officials said their crews replaced the damaged power poles and wires.

In addition to the power outage, 10News learned some residents in the area were left without water service.

While water service was restored at around 9:15 a.m., water department officials said repair or replacement of the affected hydrant would happen this weekend.

Due to the emergency response, San Diego police shut down Main Street between 29th and 31st streets. Police also closed North alley and 30th Street between Boston Avenue and Main Street.

Those streets have now been reopened.

City News Service contributed to this report