NewsLocal News

Actions

Otay Mesa house fire displaces five people

PROMO8_DARK_BLUE_BG.jpg
Posted at 7:57 PM, Feb 04, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-04 22:57:41-05

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A portable heater being used too close to flammable materials in the garage of an Otay Mesa house sparked a fire Monday that displaced five people.

The fire in the 800 block of Narwhal Street was reported around 7:15 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Firefighters were able to get the flames under control within five minutes, said SDFD spokeswoman Monica Munoz.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the four adults and one child who live in the home arrange for interim housing.

"We always remind folks not to walk away from a space heater that is on," Munoz said. "Also, never plug a space heater into a power strip, and have at least three feet of clearance all around the space heater."