SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — A juvenile suspect has been arrested in connection with a drive-by shooting at a Vista restaurant earlier this month, according to the San Diego Sheriff's Office (SDSO).
The shooting happened shortly before 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 15 in the 400 block of Vista Village Drive. Deputies from the Vista Patrol Station responded to reports of gunfire and found that a round fired from a passing vehicle had penetrated an exterior window of 2N1 Korean BBQ.
SDSO said a patron inside the restaurant was struck by the gunfire and treated at the scene for non-life-threatening injuries.
The investigation initially involved deputies and detectives from the Vista Sheriff's Station. Investigators later determined the shooting involved a potentially gang-affiliated individual, prompting the Vista Street Narcotics & Gang Team to take over the case.
Detectives had very limited information about the suspect vehicle at first, according to SDSO. Investigators with the team used Automated License Plate Readers, or ALPRs, to develop leads and identify the vehicle. According to investigators, the vehicle likely would not have been identified without the technology.
On Aug. 18, detectives working with the Oceanside Police Department located and arrested a juvenile suspect who is a resident of Oceanside. SDSO said the suspect was in possession of an un-serialized firearm at the time of the arrest. The juvenile was booked into San Diego County Juvenile Hall.
On Aug. 21, detectives continued using ALPR technology and successfully located the suspect's vehicle.
An arrest has been made, but authorities said the investigation remains active and ongoing. Detectives are continuing to work with the District Attorney's Office.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Vista Sheriff's Station at (760) 940-4551. Anonymous tips can also be submitted through Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.