SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - A chlorine spill that prompted evacuations in University City was contained Monday evening.
30 gallons of chlorine spilled in the pump room of the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center's Friedenburg Pool about 3:30 p.m. on Executive Drive at Regents Road, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Just after 4 p.m., the department said about 40 children were sheltered in place while crews developed a plan to mitigate the situation.
The location is near corporate offices and housing, including UC San Diego's Mesa Residential Apartments.
No injuries were reported.
Chlorine spill contained to 30 gallons at the JCC pool. No injuries. About 400 kids evacuated already. Picked up by parents. 40 kids remain sheltered in place while @SDFD hazmat team develops plan & mitigates situation. pic.twitter.com/tujYcxWBvx
— Colin Stowell (@SDFDChief) July 1, 2019
4100 Executive Dr hazmat incident at the JCC pool. About 30 gallons of chlorine spilled from a pool pump. It’s now contained. About 400 kids evac’d & picked up by parents. 40 or so kids sheltered in place. No injuries. Hazmat mitigating. pic.twitter.com/smypUZEWPu
— SDFD (@SDFD) July 1, 2019