NewsLocal News


Surfboard maker loses life's work in Ocean Beach garage fire

Posted at 11:23 PM, Aug 06, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-07 08:54:19-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - An electric bike charger overheated and caused a massive garage fire in Ocean Beach Tuesday evening, according to fire officials.

The San Diego Fire-Rescue Department said fire erupted at around 5 p.m. in a detached garage next to a home on Froude Street, near Brighton Avenue.

The blaze destroyed the garage and damaged a fence line and a neighbor’s garage, but fire officials said no injuries were reported.

Homeowner Alvin Elliot said he used to make and repair surfboards for decades. In recent years, Elliot's surfboard work became a hobby, and he kept prized boards in the garage. Nearly two dozen boards were lost in the fire, along with equipment and templates.

The garage also housed some chemicals used in making and shaping boards. Some of those chemicals exploded and burned up in the fire, prompting a hazmat crew response.

Firefighters said they did not find any environmental dangers after a close inspection.

"For me, the loss is a life's work as far as making surfboards," the 70-year-old Elliot said. "All the reasons I get up in the morning are gone. At my age, I'm an old beach guy, that's all I had left."