NewsLocal News

Actions

Cooking fire at Oceanside senior living facility displaces residents

KGTV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 10:58 PM, Jan 25, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-26 01:58:17-05

OCEANSIDE (KGTV) - A cooking fire at an Oceanside senior community displaced eight to 10 residents, Saturday night.

The residents were displaced because of water damage from the sprinklers that put the fire out, officials said.

The fire broke out at the three-story Lil' Jackson Senior Community on Lake Boulevard around 7:20 p.m.

A cooking fire in a unit on the second floor triggered the sprinkler system and put out the flames before they spread.

Crews shut off the sprinklers when they arrived, but it was too late. Water pooling in the unit began seeping through the ceiling into the units on the ground-floor.

The Red Cross was called in to help the eight to 10 residents who were displaced by the fire and water damage.

One resident was evaluated by paramedics, but didn't need to go to the hospital, officials said.