NewsLocal News


Carlsbad homeowner believes homeless woman he was helping may have started fire in yard

Posted at 5:53 AM, Mar 13, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-13 10:40:07-04

CARLSBAD, Calif. (KGTV) - A fire that destroyed a shed at a Carlsbad home Wednesday morning may have been caused by a homeless woman that was being helped by the homeowner.

The fire erupted at around 12 a.m. in the backyard of a home on Madison Street.

The homeowner said he had offered a female transient a place to stay for the night due to the weather conditions, allowing the woman to take shelter in his shed.

However, a fire burned the shed down, also scorching a tree and much of the homeowner’s yard.

Carlsbad firefighters were able to put out the fire before it spread to other homes.

According to the homeowner, the woman in the shed may have used a candle inside.

The woman has not been seen since the fire started.