San Diego man shot twice while rescuing others in Vegas

Family: Jeffrey has a long road to recovery
Posted at 10:52 PM, Oct 03, 2017
and last updated 2017-10-04 13:25:41-04

(KGTV) -- A San Diego man is recovering in a Nevada hospital after he was shot twice while shielding others from the rain of bullets Sunday night. 


Jeffrey Koishor of Valley Center wrote about the shooting on his public Facebook page from his hospital bed.

“First and foremost, I’m doing pretty well," Koishor wrote. "Obviously I’m in pain, but I will take the pain ten-fold knowing how lucky I am to be alive."

Koishor also detailed what happened to him during the shooting:

“The story behind the shooting was absolutely such a horror and it did not feel real one bit. As the shots rang out (which everyone thought they were fireworks). Once Jason Aldean was rushed off stage that’s where the panic of reality sank in.

Everyone jumped to the ground. I was hanging out with Stephanie and her friends. As we jumped to the ground, I laid on top of her to do everything I could to protect her and keep her calm. Then all of a sudden my left foot went numb and started to burn in excruciating pain.

I had been shot from the left side of my left leg and the bullet shattered my fibula. Finally, the gunfire seemed to stop (while the shooter either reloaded or grabbed another gun).

So we all got up and ran away from where the gunfire seemed to be coming from. Her and I jumped over a bar to try to take cover (I was running on the broken fibula...and collapsed to the ground at the bar. I then laid on top of Stephanie again and tried to keep her and others as calm as possible.

Then another rush of hot and sharp pain in my left hip. I had been shot again. We immediately jumped up and tried to make a run for the opposite side of the venue. Again trying to run on the messed up left side of my body, which wasn’t working. So I was stuck hopping on only my right leg.

I have never run so fast on one leg in my life. I had to run about 50 yards where there was another bar that was covered completely.

A Good Samaritan picked me up and laid me on the bar. He cut my shirt in half and tied a tourniquet to try to slow the bleeding. I then was picked up by that same hero and another gentleman and rushed out to the parking lot. They assessed the damage and tried to keep me calm. The driver of a vehicle near us was screaming 'We’re going to the hospital let’s go!' They rushed to load me up and we were off to the hospital."

Koishor said he is hoping to identify the men who helped him and thank them.

“I wanna take time to thank all the first responders, volunteers, nurses, doctors, and Good Samaritans that I may never see again, for all of their help getting me to the hospital so quickly, taking care of me, calling my family and coordinating everything needed to help me get better quickly. I also want to thank my family for dropping everything they were doing to come be by my side."

A friend set up a Gofundme page for Koishor to help with medical and other expenses while he is recovering.