VISTA, Calif. (KGTV) - Kellen Winslow Jr. affirmed his innocence to 10News Thursday as he appeared in court to face a third charge of rape.
The son of a Chargers legend, Winslow pleaded not guilty to the alleged rape a 17-year old girl in 2003.
10News was able to capture a few words with Winslow as he walked to his car in the parking lot outside court. When reporter Jim Patton asked about the new rape charge, Winslow responded it would all come out in court. Then asked if he was innocent of the other allegations of raping two women in Encinitas, Winslow said, "I'm advised by my lawyer to not speak on much. But yes, I am innocent."
The new charge involves a woman who was 17 years old at the time. Winslow was 19. She claims he raped her while she was unconscious. Winslow Jr.'s attorney has previously said their relationship was consensual. Thursday, the defense repeated a request for the woman's psychological history.
Thursday's court hearing lasted no more than 15 minutes as attorneys debated whether this new case should be tried along with the other two rape allegations. Winslow Jr.'s attorneys argued the new charge could prejudice the other two.
The judge allowed the cases to remain joined for now for efficiency but said the trial judge would make the ultimate decision.
Winslow is currently free on a $2 million bond, while required to wear a GPS monitoring bracelet.
His trial date was set for March 19th, 2019.