(KGTV) - Indulge in creamy ice cream and help support the plight of the honey bee during Häagen-Dazs' Free Cone Day on Tuesday, May 8, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
That's right, Häagen-Dazs ice creams shops will be giving away cones throughout the nation today, including six locations in San Diego -- all the create a buzz about saving bees.
- Fashion Valley Mall: 7007 Friars Road, San Diego, CA 92108
- Carlsbad Premium Outlets: 5620 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- The Shoppes at Carlsbad: 2525 El Camino Real, K203, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Westfield UTC: 4545 La Jolla Village Dr., San Diego, CA 92122
- La Jolla: 1172 Prospect St., La Jolla, CA 92037
- Las Americas Premium Outlets, 4061 Camino de la Plaza, San Diego, CA 92173
The cones are available while supplies last, and they are served in a cup, sugar cone or cake cone.
Yet their populations have been disappearing at an alarming rate for nearly a decade. This puts our food system at risk.
The company's Häagen-Dazs Loves Honey Bees initiative has donated more than $1 million in pollinator research and education since 2008. In 2016, they even gave some bees a year-long home at their almond supplier's farm by installing 6.5 miles of permanent hedgerow.
Here's how you can help save the honey bees:
- Plant native trees, wildflowers and shrubs to provide a home for the bees
- Protect the homes the bees already have by leaving alone untidy areas of gardens, tree stumps and open sandy grounds -- all areas that the bees love
- Spread the word on social media so others know about how they can take action to help