News

Actions

Four hospitalized after Oceanside apartment fire

Posted at 4:59 PM, Jun 02, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-02 20:48:45-04

OCEANSIDE, Calif., (KGTV) — Four people were rushed to the hospital, including a baby and a toddler after an apartment fire in Oceanside Friday.

Fire crews said it happened at the Country Villas Apartments around 9:00 a.m.

“I took a glimpse through the kitchen window, and the kitchen looked like it was the hotspot,” said Ryan Kelly, who lives in the unit above. 

Fire crews said the fire started in the kitchen. They said two kids were napping in a bedroom at the time with their father when the fire broke out. Fire crews said the mom was cooking.

“It had to have gone up pretty quickly to do that kind of damage,” said Kelly. 

A good Samaritan jumped in to help the family. The two kids, the mom, and the good Samaritan were rushed to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Their dad refused treatment. 

“It's kind of nice to know people around here are helping each other,” said Kelly. 

Fire crews said they’re still investigating what sparked the fire.