Fire rips through Mountain View home, injuring two people and displacing five

Posted at 1:40 PM, Mar 24, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-24 21:02:29-04

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A fire of unknown origin spread through a Mountain View-area home Friday, injuring two people and a dog and displacing five residents.

The blaze in the 500 block of South 36th Street erupted about 10:45 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

It took crews about 15 minutes to subdue the flames, city spokesman Jose Ysea said.

The fire left two people and a pit bull suffering from smoke inhalation. Medics took the residents to UCSD Medical Center and revived the stricken dog at the scene with special equipment designed to treat pets, Ysea said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the five adults who live in the house arrange for interim shelter.

The cause of the fire, which was mostly confined to the second floor of the two-story home, remained under investigation in the early afternoon, the spokesman said.

Officials set the monetary losses at $175,000 to the structure and $75,000 to contents.