News

Actions

Fire forces Chula Vista family from home

Posted: 10:01 AM, Oct 01, 2015
Updated: 2015-10-01 17:01:59Z
CHULA VISTA -- An early morning blaze sent a family and their pets scrambling from their Chula Vista home Thursday. 
 
The fire was reported at a home in the 100 block of Oxford St. at about 3 a.m. Residents told 10News they discovered smoke coming from the top of the house. 
 
"We went through the hallway, we felt the heat coming from the ceiling,” resident Frances Smith told 10News. “And when I looked up you could see the paint in the ceiling bubbling. And then I walked outside, and that's when you could see smoke coming from the top of the house."
 
Five people, two dogs and two cats who were inside at the time got out safely, with no reported injuries. Chula Vista Fire Department crews arrived to find flames coming from the roof. 
 
The fire may have been electrically caused, CVFD said, but the investigation is ongoing. A financial estimate of the damage was not confirmed. 
 
The Red Cross was assisting the family with temporary housing.