News

Actions

Family escapes Chula Vista house fire

Posted: 9:51 AM, Oct 08, 2018
Updated: 2018-10-09 01:33:02Z
Fire destroys Chula Vista home

CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KGTV) - A family escaped a fire at their Chula Vista home that left a gaping hole in the house’s second floor Monday.

The fire erupted shortly after 7:15 a.m. at a home in the 1300 block of Caliente Loop, near Southwestern College, according to Chula Vista Fire Department officials.

A woman, man, their two children and their pets were inside the house when the fire broke out in the second-floor master bedroom.

At one point, the woman and her husband were trapped in their bedroom and could not get out. They made their way to the balcony and jumped, 10News learned. The woman was caught by two city of Chula Vista gardeners who happened to be at the scene.

Firefighters were able to put out the blaze in less than 30 minutes, although crews had some difficulty creating ventilation due to the numerous solar panels on the home’s roof and the live electricity involved.

The family displaced by the fire were receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

No injuries were reported.