News

Actions

Final day of record heat before cooling trend

Posted: 8:36 AM, Feb 16, 2016
Updated: 2016-02-17 00:25:15Z

INTERACTIVE RADAR | FORECAST TRAFFIC CONDITIONS | GET OUR MOBILE APP

Got photos or video?  Send them to pictures@10news.com or join the 10News Weather Watchers group on Facebook.


Temperatures in parts of San Diego County pushed into record-breaking territory Tuesday ahead of gusty winds expected to develop in the mountains and upper deserts midweek.

More records could fall when the National Weather Service receives reports from more stations, NWS forecaster James Thomas said.

By mid-afternoon, however, Alpine had already tied a record of 86 degrees, breaking a record for this date set in 1977. Escondido's high of 91 beat the 1930 record of 84 degrees. Oceanside Harbor reported a high of 82, breaking the old record of 78 set in 1977. Vista reached a high of 91, besting the record of 85 set in 1977. Lindbergh Field recorded a high of 89, beating the 1981 record of 81 degrees.

"This is the last day of the heat wave," Thomas said. "We will begin seeing more clouds, cooler temperatures and higher humidity beginning late Wednesday."

There is a 30-40 percent chance of rain along the coast late Wednesday and into early Thursday, according to Thomas, with a 50-60 percent chance of rain in the mountains during the same period.

Another heat wave is expected by the end of next weekend and into the early part of next week.

Most of the county had only light winds Tuesday, but an approaching trough of low pressure is expected to lead to cooler temperatures and gustier winds on Wednesday, forecasters said.

A National Weather Service wind advisory for the mountains will be in effect from 6 p.m. Wednesday to 6 a.m. Thursday. Winds of 20 to 30 mph will be possible, as will gusts that could reach 60 mph in some areas.

"Strong gusty southwest to west winds will develop over the mountains and deserts of San Bernardino County on Wednesday, then spread southward into the mountains of Riverside and San Diego counties Wednesday night," according to the weather service.

Wednesday night, temperatures are expected to cool to near average as the low pressure trough moves inland. A chance of showers is also in the forecast late Wednesday into Thursday along and west of the mountains, according to the NWS.