A 10News viewer took photos of a dead bird and what he said was a sick sea lion on Imperial Beach at the site of the 143-million gallon raw sewage spill that flowed up from Mexico in the Tijuana River.
A 10News crew also got video of a different dead bird just inside the sewage-contaminated wildlife refuge.
Friday, the water at Imperial Beach was still toxic. Signs are posted telling people not to swim, but not everyone is heeding the warning.
On Friday, our 10News crew spotted beach-goers frolicking in the waves. We informed them of the warning.
The U.S. and Mexico just launched a joint investigation into the spill.
Preliminary information is the sewage came from a broken sewer pipe in Tijuana, according to Imperial Beach city officials.
Residents smelled a strong, foul odor starting in early February. The sewage flowed into the Tijuana River Estuary for 17 days. Mexico did not initially tell the U.S. about the spill.