DESCANSO, Calif. (KGTV) - A heartbroken East County family has a warning for pet owners: watch your trash.
More than a week ago, they woke to a horrifying sight in the kitchen of her Descanso home.
Angie Robbins says her husband found their puppy Cooper, a 6-month-old Heeler-Lab mix, dead on the kitchen floor with an empty chicken nugget bag still over his head.
"You don't even have the tears to muster up. You're so shocked. You just scream," said Robbins.
It appears the puppy dug the bag out of a trash bin located inside a cabinet cut-out, tried to go for the crumb and suffocated because he wasn't able to remove the bag.
Robbins, who says she is careful of what trash gets placed in the bin, admits she never thought of bags as a danger.
"Very sick and feeling very guilty. Just breaks my heart. A senseless loss of an adorable life," said Robbins.
Robbins, who also owns a 9-year-old Chihuahua, says she plans to get a lid for the trash bin and cut up any plastic bags.
"I'm just hoping one else has to go through this. The what-ifs torture you in the night," said Robbins.