Suspect arrested after hostage standoff at LA Trader Joe's & double shooting, woman dies

Posted at 5:36 PM, Jul 21, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-21 22:29:40-04

LOS ANGELES (KGTV and CNS) - A suspect accused of shooting his grandmother and girlfriend in South Los Angeles and leading police on a violent car chase that included a gunfire exchange was taken into custody today after a tense, two- hour-plus standoff at a Trader Joe's market during which a woman was shot to death.

The incident started with a shooting in the Hollywood area, KABC reported.

The suspect is accused of shooting his grandmother and girlfriend in South Los Angeles after an alleged family dispute. 

The shooter then left in a Toyota Camry, which prompted a chase. Several shots were fired at officers during the pursuit.

The suspect's cousin, Charleo Egland, 28, told City News Service she did not know why he would shoot their grandmother but said her grandmother did not want his girlfriend -- who Egland said was around 20 years old -- in the house.

Egland said she saw a gun under one of the suspect's pillows yesterday.

Egland said that during a family squabble today, the 78-year-old grandmother went outside to bring her daughter, the suspect's aunt, a glass of water.

"He (then) went in his room and grabbed a gun and shot her," Egland told City News, saying that he fired six shots before he and his girlfriend fled in the grandmother's car.

The wounded grandmother underwent surgery, is in critical condition, according to LAPD Chief Michel Moore.

Police later spotted the suspect's 2015 Toyota Camry sedan and gave chase, leading to Silver Lake, where the suspect crashed the Toyota into a power pole in front of the Trader Joe's supermarket in the 2700 block of Hyperion Ave. and fled inside -- apparently firing at pursuing officers as he ran.

Officers returned fire, but it was unclear if the suspect was hit. The rear window of the Toyota was shattered by gunfire.

It was unknown how many people were inside the store when the suspect ran inside. A throng of police and fire crews surrounded the store by about 4 p.m.

10News is monitoring breaking developments.