News

Actions

Bride-to-be's wedding plans go up in smoke

Posted at 5:19 PM, Jun 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-03 21:49:37-04

A heartbroken bride-to-be is trying to figure out Plan B after a house fire destroyed almost everything related to her wedding -- just weeks before the big day.

"I don't know how to replace it all, to tell you the truth," said a tearful Shawnte Ledgerwood.

On Wednesday afternoon, she and her fiancé returned to their Lemon Grove home on Dayton Drive and heard the smoke alarm.

"It was just a lot of panic," said Ledgerwood.

When they got in, they saw the smoke and then the flames.

The extension cord in the master bedroom is believed to be the likely culprit.

By the time the smoke cleared, it was all gone.

"It's depressing that everything I worked for over the years is gone," said Ledgerwood.

That includes everything related to her wedding set for July 9.

10News followed her as she looked through the rubble. In the bedroom, her wedding dress and veils were nowhere to be found.

"They were probably the first to go up; nothing in here," she said, digging through a pile of sooty clothes.

In a hallway, she finds something.

"This is my bridesmaid dress for my daughter. It's not usable," said Ledgerwood.

A few feet away, she finds a ruined flower girl dress. In a heap outside, she finds another one melted to some plastic.

In the living room, she finds an ash-laden wedding candle she made for the reception.

"I could probably salvage it if I washed it," said Ledgerwood.

Ledgerwood, who rents the apartment, did not have renters insurance.

"I don't have the money to recreate this. It's coming up so quickly, I don't know how this is going to happen," said Ledgerwood.

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to assist her and her family.