CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KGTV) - The two men arrested after a man’s body was found in a barrel in the San Diego Bay were in a Chula Vista court Thursday.
52-year-old Timothy Cook is accused of killing Omar Medina, while 38-year-old Derrick Spurgeon is accused an accessory.
During the court hearing, prosecutors showed body camera footage from the first time police went to the home where Medina had been staying with Cook.
- No bail for 2nd man accused in murder case ofbodyfound inbarrelin San Diego Bay
- Arrests made in death of man whose body was found in drum floating in San Diego Bay
- Man whose body was found in a barrel had been stabbed 66 times; suspect pleads not guilty
In the video, you can hear an officer explaining the conditions of the home and the room where Medina supposedly lived.
“This is Omar’s bedroom or what it’s supposed to be,” said the officer. “It’s again just debris, water, broken glass.”
Medina’s body was found on October 12 after a diver found a white, 55-gallon drum floating in the bay.
An officer with the San Diego port district helped recover the drum from the bay.
During testimony he described seeing cinder blocks and a wire attached to the barrel, saying it was very heavy and hard to get out of the water.
- Body found in drum chained tocementblock in San Diego Bay
- Chula Vista police identify man found dead inside barrel floating in San Diego Bay
“Once I actually looked at the top of the barrel I could really smell a rancid odor coming from there,” said officer Claudio Asiong.
According to testimony from a detective with the Chula Vista police department Medina's body was found face down, covered by a blanket.
Inside the barrel detectives also discovered towels and a pillowcase.
They say Medina had wounds to his upper chest area and injuries to his torso.
Police said Medina had been reported missing two weeks before his body was found.