Fire rips through Vista house, near total loss

Posted at 2:58 PM, May 22, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-23 08:19:56-04

It took firefighters from three fire departments about 30 minutes to put out a house fire in Vista that started in the garage and quickly spread, authorities said Sunday.

The quick-moving flames were helped by a strong onshore wind Saturday afternoon at about 3:30 p.m. in the 1900 block of Cuervo Road, according to Vista Fire Deputy Chief Ned Vander Pol. No one was injured, but the house was almost a total loss.

Damage was estimated at about $300,000 in the fire, which apparently was caused by faulty electrical wiring. About two dozen firefighters from the Vista, San Marcos and Oceanside Fire Departments responded to the fire.