News

Actions

1 killed in shooting at mansion party near Beverly Hills

Police lights
Posted at 7:26 AM, Aug 04, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-04 13:12:21-04

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - Four people were wounded, one fatally, when gunfire erupted Tuesday morning at a large party taking place at a mansion north of Beverly Hills where police had earlier responded to multiple calls of disturbing the peace.

Firefighters and paramedics sent to the 13200 block of Mulholland Drive about 12:45 a.m. located three adults who had been wounded, and they were treated at the scene, then taken to a hospital, according to Nicholas Prange of the Los Angeles Fire Department. A fourth person was found nearby with an injury to his wrist, Prange said, adding the victim's injury was not caused by gunfire.

One shooting victim was hospitalized in grave condition and the other two were hospitalized in critical condition, Prange said.

A woman about 35 years of age died at a hospital, said Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Chris Ramirez. Information was not immediately available on her identity.

Ramirez said the other two shooting victims found at the scene were males, and they were displaying stable vital signs Tuesday morning.

A woman who also had been shot went to a hospital in a private vehicle, and was in stable condition, Ramirez said.

Ramirez said the crime apparently was gang-related, and no arrests have been reported. No suspect information was immediately available.

Ramirez said the shooting was being investigated by detectives from the LAPD West Bureau Homicide office, and he urged anyone with information on the crime to call 213-382-9470.

The house had been rented for the party, according to reports from the scene.

A video posted to social media captured the sounds of the gunfire, at least six shots initially fired, followed by at least eight more. People attending the party continued on as if nothing had occurred following the gunfire, the video showed. About two minutes later, a hail of gunfire can be heard and people begin screaming and running and trying to find safe places to hide. The video also contained blurry images of what appeared to be two gunshot victims.

The Los Angeles Police Department received at least five calls from residents who reported instances of disturbing the peace in the neighborhood beginning about 6:30 p.m. Monday. Responding officers found a large party taking place at a three-story home with about 200 people attending, according to the LAPD.

Officers enforced traffic and parking violations, but did not enforce the county's health order banning large gatherings, the department said. Video from NBC4 showed vehicles being ticketed.

The organizer of the party, identified by NBC4 only as "Kenny," told the station the party was for his friends and masks were made available to guests, who also had to undergo a temperature check before being allowed inside.

No party attendees could be seen wearing masks in video shot by multiple broadcast outlets.

A food truck was on site and multiple high-end vehicle, including Lamborghinis and a Rolls Royce, could be seen on the video posted to social media.

The party is the second large-scale gathering held amid the coronavirus pandemic in the L.A. area, in spite of public health restrictions barring parties.

On Friday night, dozens of people were seen attending a party -- again, mostly without masks or physical distancing -- at the Sassafras Saloon in Hollywood, a gathering that was alleged to have been attended by local law enforcement members. A person familiar with the gathering told the Los Angeles Times the party was planned for members of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, but the agency has denied any involvement in the event and insisted that people seen in online video from the event do not work for the department.

The Los Angeles Police Department issued a statement Monday saying it was aware of the gathering and was working to determine if any LAPD employees attended.

Los Angeles County public health director Barbara Ferrer said Monday the state Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control was investigating the party, along with the county. She said county health inspectors went to the Vine Street bar Saturday and were told the venue has been closed but only opened for the Friday night private party.