One, Chew, Three: Thanksgiving is near and it's time to nail down those holiday recipes. Here's The Chew's take on apple pie!
2 large apples, thinly sliced
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (powdered is fine)
1-2 puff pastries
1/2 cup apricot preserves
For the filling:
1. Place the sliced apples in a medium-sized bowl and pour the lemon juice over them
2. Pour water over the mixture just enough to cover
3. Microwave mixture for 3 minutes, drain
4. In a separate bowl, mix the cinnamon, sugar, salt and nutmeg
For the pastry:
1. Flour your surface and hands
2. Roll out the pastry into a rectangle, if necessary
3. Cut your pastry into four long rectangles
(*Note, you may want to make 8 to fill your pie plate, but don't roll out too thin)
Making the pie:
1. Mix a small amount of water with the apricot preserves to make a glaze. Brush the glaze onto each of the pieces of pastry
2. Arrange the apples evenly on one side of the pastry and sprinkle with the cinnamon, sugar, salt and nutmeg mixture you set aside earlier.
3. Fold in half to fully cover the apples and carefully roll to create the rose shape. The Chew rolled out 8 roses to make this dish.
4. After you've arranged your roses, bake at 375° for 50 minutes.
5. Let cool slightly before serving with a scoop on ice cream!