SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — There's no question that San Diegans love their pets.
A study from financial website WalletHub looked into where pets enjoyed the best quality of life. San Diego ranked third on the list of 100 metropolitan areas around the country.
San Diego excelled when it came to pet businesses per capita (1st), dog-friendly restaurants (1st), and animal shelters per capita (2nd).
RELATED: Petco opens new concept store in San Marcos
On the opposite end of the spectrum, San Diego ranked 51st in veterinary care costs and 30th in walkability. But judging by our region's strengths, it's likely pet owners are comfortable bearing the costs for critter health care.
Here's a look at WalletHub's full pet analysis of San Diego:
- 1st: Pet businesses per capita
- 1st: Dog-friendly restaurants per capita
- 2nd: Animal shelters per capita
- 17th: Dog parks per capita
- 18th: Veterinarians per capita
- 26th: Pet caretakers per capita
- 29th: Percent of pet-friendly hotels
- 30th: Walk score
- 51st: Veterinary care costs
Cities were ranked based on 24 metrics across three areas: Pet budget, pet health and wellness, and outdoor pet-friendliness.
Here's a look at how other cities ranked in pet-friendliness across the U.S.: