SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- Disneyland officials announced Friday it will be canceling this year's popular Halloween party as California continues to grapple with rising COVID-19 cases that has kept the park closed for several months.
A message on the Disneyland Park's website said officials "have made the difficult decision to cancel this year's" Oogie Boogie Bash, a three-month long Halloween party held at Disney California Adventure Park.
The after-hours bash requires a separate park admission ticket which often sellout weeks in advance. The annual event draws thousands of party-goers for a night of Halloween-themed entertainment, foods, music, characters, and merchandise. Last year's event took place between Sept. 6 through Oct. 31.
"Given theme park guidelines have yet to be released by the state, and Oogie Boogie Bash requires a substantial amount of planning and coordination, we are unable to bring the event back at this time," park officials said.
The park's announcement Friday came as Governor Gavin Newsom issued new safeguards for the state's essential workers impacted by the deadly global pandemic, including cashiers and kitchen staff.
“Not enough focus, candidly, has been placed on essential workers in this state,” Newsom said during his daily news conference Friday.
The turnstiles at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park have remained closed since March 14 after Newsom issued an executive order recommending against large events with gatherings of 250 people or more across the state.