Woman says dog poisoned with hallucinogen at Fiesta Island

Says dog tested positive for PCP
Posted at 11:28 PM, Oct 10, 2017
and last updated 2017-10-11 11:12:20-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- A San Diego woman says her dog was poisoned with the hallucinogenic drug PCP while playing off-leash on Fiesta Island.

Cooper is a young Labrador-Beagle mix. Dogs are allowed off-leash on Fiesta Island.

On Saturday, Anita Shrum and her husband, Cooper's owners, took the dog to the west side of Fiesta Island, across from Ski Beach.

She said they noticed some shady people in RVs, so they moved to another area. Then, she said, Cooper began acting strangely.

The dog was terrified, trembling, hiding, panting and spooked by noises. This went on all night when they got home, she said

The next day, Shrum, took him to the veterinarian’s officer where she works as a vet technician. Shrum said Cooper tested positive for PCP, a dangerous and illegal hallucinogenic drug. She thinks Cooper ate something off the ground laced with the drug.

Shrum wants to warn others who visit Fiesta Island.

“Our main concern is that there's so many dogs here and so many kids that come here and if somebody could just pick something up that easily, if he could have been a smaller dog that could have killed him, or a small child,” Shrum said.

Cooper recovered, but is still a bit nervous.