News

Actions

White powder scare shuts down Southwest High School

Posted at 4:23 PM, Aug 05, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-05 21:15:27-04

IMPERIAL BEACH, Calif. - A hazardous materials team responded to a South Bay school Friday after some students complained of severe itchiness from a white powdery substance.

The incident was reported shortly after 11:15 a.m. at Southwest High School, according to authorities.

School officials said a freshman student brought a "popper" to school -- an object that contains a substance called polvos de pica pica. The popper, commonly sold in Mexico, is used as part of pranks, with the powder making others itch.

According to school officials, one of the student's poppers opened, and some of the powder got onto some students' skin.

Four students went to the nurse's office to be examined because of intense itchiness. The students are expected to be OK.

10News learned the student who brought the poppers to school will not be suspended nor expelled because the situation was deemed an accident.

Hazmat teams respond to all white powder-related reports, and police said the powder is considered harmless.