Woman says air freshener sparked house fire

Posted at 7:05 AM, May 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-20 10:56:09-04

A Vista woman is warning others after she said a plug-in air freshener set her house on fire.

Sheryl Fontenot went to get haircuts with her granddaughter and great-granddaughter on Wednesday. They were only gone an hour, but when they came back, their house was surrounded by fire trucks.

"I couldn't believe it," Fontenot said. "I mean, you see it all the time with other people and you never think about it for yourself."

Fire investigators told her a plug-in air freshener sparked the fire.

"We were told that the little bottle blew up and that's what the spark was," she said. "How can a glass bottle that's that thick just blow up?"

Fire investigators told 10News this is the second fire they've seen that was recently caused by a plug-in air freshener.

Fontenot said her husband just passed away two months ago.

"This was just the straw that broke the camel's back," Fontenot said. "I just don't know how much more I can take of bad luck."

Now, she wants everyone to double-check their plug-in air fresheners so it doesn't happen to their families.

"See if they're hot," Fontenot said. "I don't know who's to blame or if anyone's to blame, but just if you have them, keep checking them."

Fire investigators said the fire caused $30,000 worth of damage, and the Red Cross is putting Fontenot in an extended stay hotel temporarily.