Former FBI Director James Comey will stop short of saying President Donald Trump interfered with the bureau's investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, according to an ABC News report published Tuesday.
Citing a source, ABC News reported Comey "has told associates he will not accuse the President of obstructing justice" and "he will dispute the president's contention that Comey told him three times he is not under investigation."
Last month, The New York Times first reported about a memo that detailed Comey's concerns following a meeting with Trump. According to the Times report, Comey met with Trump in February, and it was during that interaction where Comey said the president asked the FBI director to "let this go" -- a reference to the Flynn probe. Comey documented details of the meeting in a memo, the Times reported.
- Trump will not use executive privilege to block James Comey's testimony
- Ex-FBI director James Comey to testify June 8 before Senate Intelligence Committee
- Comey believes Trump was trying to influence him, source says
- NYT report: Trump asked Comey to end Flynn investigation
- Trump on Comey firing: 'They will be thanking me'
- Comey asked for money for Russia investigation days before being fired
- FBI Director James Comey fired by Trump
The source told ABC News that Trump's request made Comey feel uncomfortable.
Comey, who was fired on May 9, is set to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee on June 8.
In response to Comey's upcoming appearance on Capitol Hill, Trump said, "I wish him luck."