SWAT surrounds 2 homes in suspect search

Posted at 9:11 AM, Jul 29, 2016
and last updated 2016-07-29 20:07:39-04

UPDATE: Police identified Jesse Michael Gomez as a suspect in the shooting of two SDPD officers. Gomez was arrested Friday morning.

A second man, Marcos Antonio Cassani, is in custody and was identified as a potential suspect in the case.

Latest details on this developing story:

SAN DIEGO - SWAT officers surrounded two homes in the Shelltown neighborhood Friday in search of possible suspects tied to the shooting of two San Diego police officers late Thursday night.

An initial standoff began just before 7 a.m. at a home in the 4000 block of Epsilon Street. Several loud bangs were heard at one point, and police broke out the windows of the home in order to better communicate with a suspect who was believed to be inside.

The suspect's grandfather, grandmother and girlfriend were outside the home pleading with him to surrender. Police played a recording from his girlfriend over a bullhorn in which she pleaded with him to come out. In their loudspeaker communications, police referred to the suspect as "Marcos."

"C'mon, Marcos, this has gone on way too long," police could be heard saying. "We hear you coughing. You need to come out."

SWAT officers entered the home at about 12:30 p.m., but officers did not find anyone inside during their search.

As the Epsilon Street situation was coming to a close, SWAT officers surrounded a home on 41st Street near Delta Street at about 1:45 p.m. However, after nearly 45 minutes, officers left that scene with no arrests made.

Just before 11 p.m. Thursday, two gang unit officers in the 3800 block of Boston Avenue announced they were making a stop, they requested "emergency cover" from other officers. Responding officers found both men with gunshot wounds to their upper bodies.

One of the officers was rushed to Scripps Mercy Hospital in Hillcrest in a patrol car. He died from his injuries. He was identified as Jonathan DeGuzman, a 16-year veteran of the SDPD.

The second officer was taken by ambulance to UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, where he underwent emergency surgery and was expected to survive. He was identified as Wade Irwin, a 9-year veteran.

A suspect, described as a Hispanic man, was also wounded by gunfire. He was taken into custody in a ravine area in the 1300 block of South 38th Street.

Just before noon, a man was taken into police custody at 42nd and Delta streets, a few blocks from the scene of the initial standoff. The nature of the detention was not confirmed.


10News is monitoring this major, developing story on air and online. For the latest updates, make sure to DOWNLOAD our mobile app, LIKE our Facebook page and FOLLOWus on Twitter.