(KGTV) - San Diego County does not have an extensive history when it comes to dealing with tsunamis, but county officials are helping San Diegans prepare in the event a tsunami hits the area.
ReadySanDiego has a resource webpage dedicated to tsunami preparedness and facts, and it includes a video that helps citizens understand the dangers of tsunamis and what to do if one were to occur.
In the event of a tsunami, FEMA recommends the following:
- Follow any and all evacuation orders
- Evacuate inland to higher ground
- Avoid coastal and beach areas
- After a tsunami, do not enter flooded or damaged areas
- After a tsunami, avoid debris in the water, as it can pose a safety hazard
Officials have designated specific areas in the county's coastal cities as tsunami evacuation zones:
- Chula Vista
- Del Mar
- Imperial Beach
- National City
- City of San Diego
- Solana Beach
Other useful resources: