Mom: Ikea crib sickened my baby

Posted at 7:02 PM, May 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-18 22:02:26-04

A young mother is fuming - she says her Ikea crib sickened her 10-month-old daughter. 

Loxie Shooks said she had to call Poison Control on Saturday for her baby, Britton. 

"To me, a crib is a place where you put your child and they're left safe," said Shooks of Pacific Beach. "You're supposed to be able to put them in their crib and walk out of the room."

But when Shooks came in after Britton's nap Saturday, she immediately noticed something was wrong.

"All of a sudden when I got closer I noticed that she had pieces of what looked like paper all over her face," Shooks said. 

Briton's new teeth had found a soft spot on her Ikea Stuva crib. The sides of the crib are wood - no baby's teeth will get through that - but the back is cardboard composite, and Britton was able to chew into it. 

"And when she threw up, there were actual particles of the board in the throw up," Shooks said. 

Poison Control told Shooks that Britton should be OK, and on Wednesday she was back to herself. 

"Never cries, never cranky, we're lucky," Shooks said. "We got a good one with this kid."

IKEA released a statement saying: 

"The safety and well being of all our IKEA customers, especially  children is our first priority.

All of our paints in children's products are tested for chemical content. We want to make certain these paints are safe and do not contain any harmful chemicals - and they are retested  often. 

Also, we welcome this customer back to our store to speak with our management for a satisfactory resolution."

The store manager from the Mission Valley location said Shooks would be offered a refund and the company would be investigating the product. 

Shooks said no matter the outcome, Britton's next crib will be solid wood.