SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- Hundreds of homeless people will be moved into the San Diego Convention Center starting Tuesday, finishing the city’s first phase in their efforts to control the spread of the coronavirus among this population.
The process began last week when those living in bridge shelters were moved out. The objective of transferring people into the convention center is to give enough room to practice social distancing, which couldn’t safely be done in the shelters because there wasn’t enough room.
This is especially important now, as some among the homeless population have already tested positive for the coronavirus, with more expected to come.
San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer says, " We want to make sure everyone comes in is healthy and well. And if anyone is identified as being a person of interest or needs to be tested, we have the opportunity for hotel room placement which is why it's important this all works together."
On Tuesday, 200 people from Father Joe’s Villages, as well as 130 women living in the lower level of Golden Hall. The city says this will help centralize services and maximize staffing.
People staying at the convention center and the staff are being monitored by nurses daily. Those who show symptoms are sent to an isolation area at the convention center or at a medical facility for treatment.
They are also identifying people who are considered high risk. They will be kept at a repurposed building at Father Joe's Villages.
The goal is to have everyone moved in at the convention center by Wednesday.