SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - A student at Nazareth School San Diego in Mission Valley is in the hospital with meningococcal disease, county health officials said Friday.
The County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) said it is reaching out to anyone who came in close contact with the child at the K-8 school. Antibiotics are not being recommended for those who are not at risk.
“While meningococcal disease can be serious and deadly, it is not spread through casual contact. Therefore, the risk to those who were not in close, direct contact is minimal,” said Wilma Wooten, M.D., M.P.H., County public health officer. “We want to make sure students are up to date on immunizations and are asking people in the school community to look for the signs and symptoms of the disease.”
Meningococcal disease is caused by a bacteria and spread through close contact including sharing drinking glasses, eating utensils, and smoking or vaping equipment. The bacteria can cause serious and potentially life-threatening illness.
Symptoms include fever, headache, sensitivity to light and noise, a stiff neck, and a rash. Anyone who develops the symptoms should get medical help, health officials said.