SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - A man from El Salvador has been granted asylum in the United States after having been sent back to Mexico to await his trial.
According to his attorney, Narciso Cruz, the man is only the second person to receive asylum who had been sent back to Mexico due to the Trump administration’s Migrant Protection Protocol (MPP.)
“This individual is a bit of a rarity,” said Cruz, referring to his client’s success in court.
But his story is not a rarity.
Marcos fled violence in El Salvador and did no want to use his full name for this story, still fearing the gang he fled in El Salvador.
“They’re a terrorist group,” said Marcos.
He became targeted earlier this year after he tried to help his cousin who was being recruited by the gang. After he interfered, he started receiving death threats.
“They will kill you and your entire family,” he said.
He traveled to the United States, crossing the border on June 25 somewhere near Tecate.
He said he wandered in the desert for five days before he was eventually picked up by Border Patrol agents and taken to a holding facility.
Within a day he said he was sent back across the border to Mexico where he would wait for his case to be heard.
The Trump Administration implemented the MPP in January. Despite some pushback from the courts, the policy, also called “remain in Mexico,” was allowed to go forward.
As of September 1, the U.S government has sent 42,000 asylum seekers to Mexico, according to the Department of Homeland Security.
As for Marcos, his case is not officially done yet. The government reserved its right to appeal the court’s decision. They have until October 25 to file an appeal.