NewsLocal News


Firefighters rescue guinea pigs after fire erupts at Spring Valley home

Posted at 8:31 AM, Jul 05, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-05 16:58:31-04

SPRING VALLEY, Calif. (KGTV) - Firefighters responding to a house fire in Spring Valley Friday morning came across two guinea pigs swimming for their lives as a sprinkler system doused the flames.

At around 2:30 a.m., firefighters responded to a resident’s report of a fire at home in the 9800 block of Avenida Ricardo.

Responding fire crews entered the structure as the home’s built-in sprinkler system was active and putting out much of the flames.

However, crews saw that the water from the system had soaked two guinea pigs and flooded their cage.

Crews rescued the two guinea pigs and helped safely remove two dogs from the home. The pets’ owners were not home at the time of the blaze.

Fire officials believe a lamp fell near the guinea pigs’ enclosure and ignited some hay next to it.

No animals or humans were injured in the fire, but the home suffered extensive water damage from the sprinkler system.