SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — Having lived in Pine Valley, 13-year-old Aubrey Bedsole was taught how to spot fires and what to do if you see one.
But, she never imagined now living in Lakeside, she’d have to put that to use.
Monday as she was playing in front of her house, she noticed something strange next door.
"I see big black puff of smoke. I thought that’s right near the fireplace but it’s too dark," said Bedsole.
Concerned about what she saw, she rushed into her house to tell her mom Lindsey VanWickel to call 911.
VanWickel who is a trained EMT, ran outside to try and keep the fire from spreading.
"I ran over and started spraying the garage because it started to catch the house on fire. And there were two dogs inside," VanWickel said.
Both dogs made it out safely, and VanWickel says the fire was contained to the garage. After, VanWickel says emergency crews were calling Aubrey a hero something she’d never expect to hear but hopes her experience will teach others this lesson.
"I learned to always tell someone no matter what happens no matter what you think, no matter how big or small. Because you never know what can happen if you don’t," Bedsole said.