SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- As COVID-19 cases continue to surge across California, many San Diego County businesses are struggling with the latest restrictions. Richard Bailey, mayor of Coronado, is now asking California Gov. Gavin Newsom to reconsider the latest stay-at-home order.
Bailey called the order inconsistent, arbitrary, and ineffective.
"Shutting down businesses that are not contributing to the spread of COVID will not reduce the number of cases, will not reduce the number of hospitalizations, but it will put tens of thousands of people out of work," said Bailey.
Restaurants can no longer offer outdoor dining and playgrounds are closed. Personal care services, hair salons, and barbershops are just some businesses that have to shut down for three weeks. Bailey said while COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations rising should be taken seriously, some of these closures don't make sense.
"We should all have a really firm understanding of what our risk level is based on our own demographics and our own underlying conditions. There's no data to support that outdoor dining is a significant risk for transmission," Bailey said.
In the letter sent to Newsom on Monday, Bailey asked for a reconsideration of the latest health order based on data specific to San Diego County and a new public health strategy.
"We should treat citizens like adults and put in place recommendations that really emphasize all the best practices that will slow the spread," he said.
Dr. Mark Ghaly, the state's Health and Human Services Secretary, explained Tuesday that only 10 percent of ICU capacity is currently available in the Southern California region, which San Diego County falls into.
"The transmission is now so widespread across our state that most all nonessential activities create a serious risk for transmission," said Ghaly.
He said part of the regional stay-at-home order is based on our experiences with flattening the curve earlier this year and the success of other countries that implemented similar shutdowns.
"Belgium, when they imposed a nationwide closure, the positivity rate in just three weeks fell from 21 percent to 8 percent," said Ghaly.
Bailey said there should be a better plan to slow the spread without causing significant harm to small businesses along the way.
"They're picking winners and losers, and unfortunately big businesses are the winners, and small businesses that can barely afford it are becoming the losers," said Bailey.
In the meantime, Bailey is encouraging business owners to follow the state orders, so places like salons and restaurants don't lose state licensing.
"We're really just trying to help businesses be compliant to the state order," he said.
Newsom has yet to respond to Bailey's letter.