News

Actions

Hoverboard sparks house fire that killed dogs

Posted: 9:23 AM, Jan 20, 2016
Updated: 2016-01-20 17:23:23Z

Fire officials say a hoverboard sparked a house fire in Santa Rosa, California, that killed two dogs.

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports that the fire broke out Tuesday in a girl's bedroom where the hoverboard was being charged.

Santa Rosa Fire Battalion Chief Mark Basque estimates the blaze caused $200,000 to $250,000 in damage.

The home was unoccupied except for the two dogs, a labradoodle and a Boston terrier, who died of apparent smoke inhalation.

The two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered devices have drawn criticism in recent months, as reports have come out across the country of them bursting into flames.