Hepatitis A scare concerns East County firefighters

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - Firefighters are waiting for San Diego County Health Department officials to tell them if they were exposed to hepatitis A while battling flames near a homeless camp.

The fire broke out early Sunday morning off Spring Canyon Dr. in Spring Valley.

A San Miguel firefighter tripped over a bucket of feces. He injured his back and was treated at the hospital.

The firefighter and 10 others may have been exposed to the hepatitis A virus.

All first responders should have the hepatitis A immunization but not all of the firefighters may have received it, said Stephan Moran, spokesman for the San Miguel Fire District.

Print this article Back to Top