SAN DIEGO (KGTV) – Firefighters were called out to a Paradise Hills home Wednesday after the roof burst into flames.
Firefighters were called out to the house on the corner of Kausman and Gross Streets, just before 5 p.m.
— 10News (@10News) August 31, 2017
Valarie Bryant says she and her husband were inside their home at the time of the fire. She says luckily, the mailman saw it and alerted them.
“He goes, ‘excuse me, I think your roof is on fire,’” Bryant said, “I said, ‘yeah right.’ And he goes, ‘no, your roof is on fire!’
Bryant says the solar vent fan on the roof is to blame. She says firefighters told her it was spinning to keep the attic cool.
“Something changed the position. The engine seized up. By the engine seizing up, the engine became hot,” Bryant said, “it overheated.”
Contractors have been working on the roof. Bryant is not sure if something got knocked into the fan or if was damaged, causing it to malfunction on a day when it would be working overtime.