SAN DIEGO -- A natural gas leak in Chollas View this morning caused some residents to be evacuated for about an hour while crews worked to stop the leak, according to authorities.
San Diego Fire Rescue firefighters were called to the area of 47th and Hartley Streets at about 9:40 a.m. after someone who was building a fence apparently broke the gas line while digging holes for the fence posts, Capt. Joe Amador said.
The line was reported as broken and blowing. Residents in the immediate vicinity were evacuated as a precaution, and no one was injured, Amador said.
A crew from San Diego Gas and Electric responded and capped off the pipe, stopping the gas leak. Residents were allowed to return to their homes by 10:50 a.m., according to Amador.